Planning a trip to New Caledonia and want to stay connected? There are plenty of great options available that will allow you to access the internet wherever you go.
Here are some tips on getting connected to the internet in New Caledonia so you don’t waste time on arrival:
Option 1: Buy a SIM card on arrival
One of the easiest ways to stay connected to the internet in New Caledonia is with a "Tourism card" SIM card. 82% of the territory offers 4G connectivity, making it a good choice for when you’re on the go.
Where can you purchase a SIM card?
If you’re wanting to buy a SIM card, you should make your way to one of the following locations:
- Any OPT store in New Caledonia.
- Most Mobilis partner phone shops.
Please note that some tourist offices in Nouméa do also sell SIM cards.
Price, validity and inclusions
SIM cards can be activated right after your purchase, allowing you to make international calls, send SMS messages and access the internet on both Grande Terre and the islands.
Before purchasing a SIM card, you should be aware of the following details:
- Validity: SIM cards are valid for a maximum of 3 months.
- Price: 3,000 XPF (approx. $37 AUD).
- Inclusions: 1,500 XPF (approx. $20 AUD) credit for calls, SMS messages and data (3G/4G, VoIP offered).
- A valid passport must be presented on purchase.
- Credit recharges can be purchased online or anywhere in New Caledonia
You can access the internet by sending "IMD" by SMS to the four digit number that corresponds with your chosen credit option.
There are 4 main credit options to choose from:
- 250 MB (valid for 3 days) - 500 XPF (approx. $7 AUD) - Number: 1101
- 500 MB (valid for 5 days) - 900 XPF (approx. $12 AUD) - Number: 1102
- 1 GB (valid for 7 days) - 1500 XPF (approx. $20 AUD) - Number: 1103
Option 2: Book an NC Pocket Wi-Fi device
If you want to keep using your Australian SIM card and share the connection with several devices, you can rent an NC Pocket Wi-Fi device during your stay. This modem, which operates via the 4G network, allows you to quickly and easily access the internet in New Caledonia. Extremely portable, the device is the perfect accessory for any trip to New Caledonia, allowing you to access your emails, share your favourite holiday photos on social media or get in touch with family and friends.
How do you book an NC Pocket Wi-Fi device?
Free delivery in Noumea within 24 to 48 hours to your hotel or the address of your choice.
Due to the health crisis, it is no longer possible to pick up your Pocket Wifi when you arrive at Tontouta airport.
Before leaving, Pocket Wifi must be dropped off in the "return box" at the airport.
Whatever the duration of your package may be, you’ll enjoy:
- Unlimited data.
- 4G broadband internet access.
- A shared connection for use by up to 5 devices.
- The option to use VOIP (eg. voice call using Whatsapp or Messenger).
Option 3: Use New Caledonia's public Wi-Fi networks
Whatever your accommodation preferences may be, the vast majority of hotels in New Caledonia offer high-speed Wi-Fi networks, most of which are free or included in the price of your stay.
In Nouméa, there are several public Wi-Fi terminals that allow you to connect to the Internet for free. Find them at the following locations:
- In the city centre: Place des Cocotiers, the ferry terminal, the tourist office at Quai Ferry, the municipal market, Moselle Bay.
- Near the beach: Anse-Vata (park), the tourist office at Anse-Vata.
- Georges Brunelet Park and Ouen Toro Park.
- The majority of Anse-Vata and Lemon Bay bars.
Outside Nouméa, the main transport and tourist hubs also offer free Wi-Fi, including:
- La Tontouta International Airport, Magenta Airport, Isle of Pines Airport, Lifou Airport and Ouvéa Airport.
- The tourist offices located in the Southern Province.